ON COMMIT DROP unstable behaviour

From: "Ian R(dot) Campbell" <ian(dot)campbell(at)thepathcentral(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ON COMMIT DROP unstable behaviour
Date: 2017-10-18 20:12:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi

I'm using PG 10, pgAdmin 4, and PGMaestro 17.8.0.1.

I have a function that creates a temp table marked ON COMMIT DROP. The
function performs read-only ops on the DB apart from using the temp table.

I observed the temp table sometimes fails to drop when executing the
function. I am able to query its contents. Multiple calls to the function
simply increases the temp table's contents.

I narrowed it down to the following scenario:

1) Remove the ON COMMIT DROP
2) Compile
3) Execute "SELECT * FROM func(1)"... temp table visible as expected
4) Put back the ON COMMIT DROP
5) Compile
6) Execute... temp table visible and grows with each call to the function

*Dropping all connections to the DB, reconnecting, and executing the
function (without modification) will result in expected behavior: temp
table drops.*

It's a bit complex to provide the function and tables, but I will if needed.

Best
Ian