Determine potential change in table size after a column dropped?

From: Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Determine potential change in table size after a column dropped?
Date: 2022-01-22 07:16:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a large large large table with many many many rows, and it's a
certain size in pg_relation_size -- there's a timestamp with tz column on
this table that's mostly kind of useless, and I want to figure out how much
space it would free if we just dropped it. Can I easily do this?

I can fire up a replica and drop the column there and compare but that
takes some time, so wondering if there's some simple math here due to an
inherent tz timestamp column size, or something.

Thanks.

--
Wells Oliver
wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com <wellsoliver(at)gmail(dot)com>