13.4 on RDS, SSL SYSCALL EOF on restore

From: Wells Oliver <wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 13.4 on RDS, SSL SYSCALL EOF on restore
Date: 2021-10-08 21:27:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi: I am restoring a ~100GB backup using 16 jobs from an EC2 instance to an
RDS instance (db.m6g.xlarge, which is 16GB RAM and 4 CPU) and it's dying
midway with the dreaded "SSL SYSCALL error: EOF detected" error.

I did create a parameter group to hopefully speed the restoration process,
it includes:

- wal_buffers 8192 (64MB)
- checkpoint_timeout 3600 (1h)
- min_wal_size 192 (192MB)
- max_wal_size 102400 (100GB)
- shared_buffers 524288 (4GB)
- synchronous_commit 0 (off)
- autovacuum 0 (off)
- maintenance_work_mem 2097152 (2GB)
- work_mem 32768 (32MB)

I sourced these from a few different folks as well as some trial and error,
but now it's blowing up on me.

If I revert the RDS instance back to default PG parameters, it restores,
but it takes 3x the time.

Appreciate any tips.

--
Wells Oliver
wells(dot)oliver(at)gmail(dot)com <wellsoliver(at)gmail(dot)com>