Re: Python access to macOS keychain

From: Nikhil Mohite <nikhil(dot)mohite(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Neil <neil(at)fairwindsoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python access to macOS keychain
Date: 2024-01-01 10:23:16
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Neil,

pgAdmin uses a Keychain to store the pgAdmin server passwords if users opt
for save password functionality. Keychain access is Python
process-specific. Hence allowing keychain access to the python process
requested by pgAdmin will be specific to this python pid. We are trying to
add a pgAdmin name in the waring where it asks to allow keychain access.

On Sun, Dec 24, 2023 at 10:12 PM Neil <neil(at)fairwindsoft(dot)com> wrote:

> When I start pgAdmin on macOS, I get a request to allow ‘Python' access to
> my keychain.
>
> Allowing ‘Python' unfettered access to my keychain is not acceptable. I
> would however, allow pgAdmin to access my keychain.
>
> I understand that pgAdmin is using python.
>
> Can someone explain or point to an explanation about the security
> implications of allowing ‘Python' to access my keychain?
>
> Is this really an unlimited authority for any Python process to access my
> keychain as the dialog implies?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil
>

> Thanks,