Regarding feature #642

From: Nikhil Mohite <nikhil(dot)mohite(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Regarding feature #642
Date: 2023-07-03 12:45:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Hackers,

I am currently working on #642
<https://github.com/pgadmin-org/pgadmin4/issues/642> to allow to
selection/deselect of objects under the object backup operation.

This will be only applicable to the database and its sub-nodes(Not for
Backup Global and Backup server)

Details:

1. Added a new tab in the backup dialog '*Objects*'
2. On the '*Objects*' tab it will list down all the schemas and tables
under the selected database.
3. [image: image.png]
4. If the user selects the specific Schema then it will list down
only tables under the selected schema.
5. [image: Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 4.38.26 PM copy.png]
6. By default, all the nodes from the tree will be selected and the user
can deselect them if required.
7. If the user de-selects all the nodes and took a backup it will take a
normal backup and all other nodes will get included in the backup.

Questions:

1. pgAdmin III use to support taking backup of tables only from the UI,
a user was not able to select views, materialized views, foreign tables,
and sequences from the backup dialog. (If the user selects all from the
checkbox on the UI then other database objects are included implicitly in
the backup)
2. Should we continue with the above behavior or should we now allow the
user to select these database objects in the backup dialog?

Please let me know your suggestions/thoughts.

--
*Thanks & Regards,*
*Nikhil Mohite*