Re: Trying to understand a failed upgrade in AWS RDS

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mike Lissner <mlissner(at)michaeljaylissner(dot)com>
Cc: "Elterman, Michael" <melterman(at)enova(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trying to understand a failed upgrade in AWS RDS
Date: 2023-05-20 04:57:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 20 May 2023, 05:56 Mike Lissner, <mlissner(at)michaeljaylissner(dot)com>
wrote:

> I'm still trying to understand what went wrong though. Putting a finer
> point on my question: Does pg_upgrade mess up disabled subscriptions?

yes, whether they're disabled or not. As far as I know it's impossible to
reliably pg_upgrade a node that has subscriptions and eventually resume
logical replication.

It's possible to make it work with some efforts in some basic
configurations and / or if no changes happen on the publications, but it's
up to you trying to find out if your specific scenario can work as it's not
documented. It's also impossible to check whether some incompatible events
happened on any of the publisher nodes so you have to make sure that you
have total control and knowledge of all the activity that happens on the
publisher nodes during the upgrade.