Re: Packaging of plpython

From: Gražvydas Valeika <gvaleika(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Packaging of plpython
Date: 2012-09-08 19:03:53
Lists: pgsql-general

>> does the windows package include its own self sufficient python runtime,
> or does it rely on a specific 3rd party python being installed ? if the
> latter, is python 2.x available or just 3.x ?

As I understand plpython on windows is only adapter to ActiveState Python
2 or 3. EDB installer doesn't include in distribution package Python
runtime.

Windows doesn't include preinstalled python of any kind. While installing
plpython you must to download and preinstall ActiveState Python version 3
(because EDB installer doesn't contain Python 2 adapter dll).

Windows installer has another problem. It requires specific version of
ActiveState Python, but ActiveState allows to download those versions of
Python only limited time. After it releases new version old version becomes
available only to paying ActiveState customers effectively prohibiting
plpython to Postgres Windows customers who discover their need of plpython
too late.