postgres on a non-journaling filesystem

From: maayan mordehai <maayanmordehai3(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres on a non-journaling filesystem
Date: 2019-01-22 23:03:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hello,

I'm Maayan, I'm in a DBA team that uses postgresql.
I saw in the documentation on wals:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/wal-intro.html
In the tip box that, it's better not to use a journaling filesystem. and I
wanted to ask how it works?
can't we get corruption that we can't recover from?
I mean what if postgres in the middle of a write to a wal and there is a
crash, and it didn't finish.
I'm assuming it will detect it when we will start postgres and write that
it was rolled back, am I right?
and how does it work in the data level? if some of the 8k block is written
but not all of it, and then there is a crash, how postgres deals with it?

Thanks in advance