Drill-downs and OLAP type data

From: Anthony Presley <anthony(at)resolution(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Drill-downs and OLAP type data
Date: 2011-10-12 03:50:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there!

We have a typical data-warehouse type application, and we'd like to set up a
star-schema type data analysis software product (which we'll be
programming), on top of PG. The goal is to do fast roll-up, drill-down, and
drill-through of objects / tables like locations, inventory items, and sales
volume.

After a few weeks of searching around, we're running into dead-ends on the
front-end, and the back-end. PG doesn't support OLAP / MDX .... and the GUI
tools that do this, for the most part, require MDX / OLAP (SPSS and DB2, MS
SQL Analytics, etc...).

What's the PG route here? Are there some secrets / tips / tricks / contrib
modules for handling this?

--
Anthony Presley