Re: Drill-downs and OLAP type data

From: Anthony Presley <anthony(at)resolution(dot)com>
To: Ondrej Ivanič <ondrej(dot)ivanic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drill-downs and OLAP type data
Date: 2011-10-13 23:33:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Notes are below ...

2011/10/12 Ondrej Ivanič <ondrej(dot)ivanic(at)gmail(dot)com>

> Hi,
>
> > The *problem* with Greenplum is that it's ultra-expensive once you leave
> the
> > CE version - and you're not supposed to be using the CE version for
> > commercial usage last I read the license. Has that changed?
>
> Not sure. I haven't seen something like that in the license. After POC
> we bought HW and license from EMC

Yes - I understand with a full license from EMC, or one of their appliances,
the data does fly.

> > Our problem is pairing
> > up a web based GUI to a database we love using. Doesn't seem possible,
> > because the user-friendly OLAP / data analysis / dashboard tools are all
> > expecting functionality that PG doesn't have.
>
> Could you please name few of them? I'm looking for something like
> Tableau but web based (without .Net) and hackable (our DB is partially
> encrypted)

Try InetSoft - we have used them for reporting in the past, and they have an
awesome drill-down, dashboard, reporting tool. It's also very hackable.

I haven't looked at LogiXML in a while - but their Ad-Hoc tool was pretty
impressive.

I had forgotten about Tableau, and it appears they have a server component
now. That's good to hear.

--
Anthony Presley