Re: Postgres build doc

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres build doc
Date: 2024-05-13 13:06:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 3:07 AM Naveed Iftikhar <naveed27c(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>
> I am an Oracle DBA and adopting the PostgreSQL database. Our core
> Operating system platform is RHEL (Linux). Can someone please share any
> PostgreSQL Build document where the requirement filesystem, environment
> variables, build process , monitoring and extension details are documented
> from engineering standpoint which I can related to my own needs.

The RHEL repository links are here:
https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

Install PG just like any other RPM package. Part of the process creates
user "postgres" with $HOME in /var/lib/pgsql. It also creates
~postgres/.pgsql_profile. That's where "all" (there aren't many)
environment variables go.

If, for example, you're using Postgresql 16, I would make mount points
named:
/Database/16
/Database/16/backups
/var/log/postgresql

There are no hard+fast rules, though. If you don't like /Database, put it
somewhere else. /var/lib/pgsql/16 works fine, too.

/Database and everything under it should be owned by postgres:postgres.

Then "mkdir /Database/16/data", and then "initdb -D /Database/16/data".
Define and export environment variable PGDATA=/Database/16/data in
~postgres/.pgsql_profile.

THE configuration file is $PGDATA/postgresql.conf. You'll need to modify
the log_directory entry to be /var/log/postgresql (or wherever you decide
to put it). I would *not* leave it in it's default $PGDATA/data/pg_log,
since everything in and under $PGDATA gets replicated, and you don't want
your logs replicated.