Re: Faster data load

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Faster data load
Date: 2024-09-05 21:45:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 5, 2024 at 4:14 PM Lok P <loknath(dot)73(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are having a requirement to create approx 50 billion rows in a
> partition table(~1 billion rows per partition, 200+gb size daily
> partitions) for a performance test. We are currently using ' insert into
> <target table_partition> select.. From <source_table_partition> or <some
> transformed query>;' method . We have dropped all indexes and constraints
> First and then doing the load. Still it's taking 2-3 hours to populate one
> partition.

At three hours, that's 92,593 records/second. Seems pretty slow.

How much of that time is taken by <some transformed query>?
How big are the records?
How fast is the hardware?

Is there a faster way to achieve this?

Testing is the only way to know for sure.

> Few teammate suggesting to use copy command and use file load instead,
> which will be faster. So I wanted to understand, how different things it
> does behind the scenes as compared to insert as select command? As because
> it only deals with sql engine only.

COPY is highly optimized for buffered operation. INSERT... maybe not so
much.

But if the source data is already in a table, that would require piping the
data to stdout and then back into the database.

psql appdb -c "COPY (SELECT ...) TO STDOUT;" | psql appdb -c "COPY
some_table FROM STDOUT;". Use binary mode, so text conversion isn't
required.

Maybe that's faster, maybe not.

Additionally, when we were trying to create indexes post data load on one
> partition, it took 30+ minutes. Any possible way to make it faster?
>
> Is there any way to drive the above things in parallel by utilizing full
> database resources?

Put the destination tables in a different tablespace on a different
controller.

> It's postgres 15.4

Why not 15.8?

--