Re: PgBackRest Full backup and N/W reliability

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PgBackRest Full backup and N/W reliability
Date: 2024-08-29 18:10:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 12:08 PM KK CHN <kkchn(dot)in(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 6:54 PM Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 29, 2024 at 2:21 AM KK CHN <kkchn(dot)in(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am doing a full backup using PgBackRest from a production server to
>>> Reposerver.

>>> If so, does the backup process start again from scratch ? or it
>>> resumes from where the backup process is stopped ?
>>>

>> It resumes. You will see a message like this:
>>
>> WARN: resumable backup 20240829-091727F of same type exists -- invalid
>> files will be removed then the backup will resume
>>
>> Any suggestions much appreciated
>>>

>> Boost your process-max as high as you are able to speed up your backup
>> time.
>>

> what will be the ideal process-max number to use ?

We can't answer that. It depends on what else your PG and PgBackRest
servers are doing when "pgbackrest backup" runs.

> Once I update the process-max param in pgbackrest.conf , do I need to
> stop and start the pgback rest ?

Or just editing the pgbackrest.conf on the fly will reflect the increased
> process-max numbers advantage ?

"pgbackrest backup" reads the config file when it starts.

> Is there a limit for proces max. setting ?

I think you need managed DBA services.

--
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!