Re: PG Dump on 11 - Restore on 16 - is possible?

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG Dump on 11 - Restore on 16 - is possible?
Date: 2024-08-13 18:32:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 2:21 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me> wrote:

> On 8/13/24 11:47, Durumdara wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > We have to upgrade our server. The PG upgrade is impossible because of
> > too much data.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. What exactly is the problem with the amount
> of data?

OP has a physical server, and the cabinet's disk trays are all full (or at
least not enough free trays to add enough disk space).

But, you say, 20TB disks exist!! Yeah, and the channel speed is slow.
Besides, given that it's PG 11, the OS (RHEL?) is probably also EOL (or
soon to be).

Thus, better to buy a new / faster server, install RHEL9 and PG 16.

--
Death to America, and butter sauce.
Iraq lobster!