Re: Posgresql 14 and CarbonBlack on RHEL8?

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Posgresql 14 and CarbonBlack on RHEL8?
Date: 2024-05-01 08:44:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 10:07 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > When running stress tests on the systems (in prod, during the maintenance
> > window), 171K events/second are generated on the RHEL8 servers, and CB
> > needs (according to top(1)) 325% of CPU to handle that, and still
> dropping
> > 92% of them.
> > The RHEL6 system doesn't bat an eye at running the exact same test (36
> cron
> > jobs running psql executing SELECT statements).
>
> Is JIT enabled on the newer system? If so try turning it off, or else
> raise the associated cost settings. We've seen lots of reports of
> workloads where, by default, the planner is too aggressive about
> applying JIT.

A puzzling suggestion. Why should it impact AV software?

At one point, I disabled JIT to test its impact on PG, performance was a
bit of a wash (some queries were a bit faster, some were a bit slower), but
I didn't monitor CB.

Just now, I did ALTER SYSTEM SET jit='off'; and re-ran the stress test. No
impact to CarbonBlack.