Re: Request for feature: VACUUM FULL updates pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for feature: VACUUM FULL updates pg_stat_all_tables.last_vacuum
Date: 2024-05-09 14:21:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 10:07 AM David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 6:58 AM Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>

>> I'm not wedded to the name RECREATE TABLE, but am wedded to the fact that
>> VACUUM FULL is a horrible name for what it does.
>>

> I think there is general agreement here but your cure is arguably worse
> than the disease.

Why? RECREATE TABLE says exactly what it does: recreates the table, and
*doesn't* pretend to do something it doesn't do (vacuum the table).

Like I said, though, I'm not wedded to the name RECREATE TABLE.

> A more realistic option would be to at least put "VACUUM FULL" into its
> own section of the documentation instead of having FULL be an optional
> modifier to the normal VACUUM command.

That would certainly be easier and faster. But still say VACUUM.

> Are there other spots in the documentation that misrepresent the situation
> to our readers?

That's distracting from the question at hand.