Re: Repeatable Read Isolation Level "transaction start time"

From: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Repeatable Read Isolation Level "transaction start time"
Date: 2024-09-25 20:36:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 4:23 PM Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 1:53 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> Because we're not going to analyze the statement in the amount of depth
>> needed to make that distinction before we crank up the
>> transactional machinery. If it says SELECT, it gets a snapshot.
>>

> Ok, thanks. So to the original poster's point, perhaps the path with the
> least side effects / best Principle of Least Surprise (POLS) support is to
> start the transaction, and immediately call a "SELECT 1;" or perhaps better
> still, a 'SELECT timeofday();'

Since transactions should be "as short as possible, without being too
short", how much time is there between when you run "BEGIN;" and the first
"work statement"?

--
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.