Re: [pgAdmin][RM-6916]: Allow disabling GPU hardware acceleration

From: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Nikhil Mohite <nikhil(dot)mohite(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin][RM-6916]: Allow disabling GPU hardware acceleration
Date: 2022-01-18 06:20:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave/Nikhil

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 1:31 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 at 07:38, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, the patch applied.
>>

> Should we really hard code this? I’m not sure the GPU would actually be
> used much, but I really don’t know for sure. It might be, for example, for
> videos on our website.
>
> I wonder if this should be a runtime config option (if possible), or a
> command line option.

We can make it configurable by performing the following changes:

- Add a switch control in the configure dialog labeled 'Disable
GPU hardware acceleration'. By default its value is False.
- Will create a config option in "runtime_config.json" like other
options port, timeout, etc...
- When the user would like to disable the GPU, they will update
the switch control and it needs a restart of pgAdmin anyway.
- We will update the *package.json* file like "chromium-args":
"--disable-popup-blocking
--disable-gpu", and restart the pgAdmin.

If the above seems OK then @Nikhil you can start working on the above
changes.