Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM #3933 Error dropping database pop up message displayed if user try to drop any database with Arabic character with non super user

From: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM #3933 Error dropping database pop up message displayed if user try to drop any database with Arabic character with non super user
Date: 2019-02-28 06:00:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 10:08 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 7:50 AM Akshay Joshi <
> akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Hackers,
>>
>> Attached is the patch to fix RM #3933 "Error dropping database pop up
>> message displayed if user try to drop any database with Arabic character
>> with non super user". There is an exception in the logging system for
>> Arabic characters.
>>
>> I have read
>> https://docs.python.org/2/library/logging.html#logging.Handler.
>> handleError and as part of fix set *logging.raiseException = False*
>>
>> Please review it.
>>

> I'm fine with ignoring exceptions in the logger, but we should be able to
> log messages with UTF-8 characters in them surely? Is this just that we
> need to apply proper conversion to the error message, or does it occur in
> this case because the cluster was initialised in utf-8, but the maintenance
> DB is in some other encoding (which is a weird situation which can cause
> potential problems when working with global objects)?

Yes, we log the UTF-8 characters in log file, as we set the file
handler to utf-8 in the following line of code:
* fh = logging.FileHandler(config.LOG_FILE, encoding='utf-8')*
but with Arabic characters logger throws exception. Once we ignore the
exception, message will be displayed on GUI properly. I have verified the
encoding of both databases (Arabic one and maintenance DB) is same and it
is "UTF-8". One more observation when I run this with source code bug is
not reproducible, but when I run the installed version, it is
reproducible.

--
*Akshay Joshi*

*Sr. Software Architect *

*Phone: +91 20-3058-9517Mobile: +91 976-788-8246*