Re: [pgadmin4][patch] Use pytest test runner for unit tests

From: Victoria Henry <vhenry(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Joao De Almeida Pereira <jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Anthony Emengo <aemengo(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin4][patch] Use pytest test runner for unit tests
Date: 2018-06-12 19:39:09
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave,

> No, because it's firewalled to the nines inside our network. There's no
> chance I'm making production build machines internet-accessible.

For a Open Source project, if the community cannot see the place where the
tests are running it looses a huge part of the process. We believe that
removing this capability will have a negative impact on the development,
especially because we do not have a CI/CD. Before the code is merged we
will never know if master is broken or not.

>> We have some examples from our pipeline that we can share:
>> Script that we use to run the UT + Feature tests on a docker image that
>> has python+yarn+selenium+postgres installed on it:
>>
>> https://github.com/greenplum-db/pgadmin4-ci/blob/master/tasks/run-postgres-tests/run.sh
>>
>> This type of scripts can be added to the Jenkinsfile to create a pipeline
>> step. A good practice in a reproducible pipeline is to use Docker to ensure
>> that every test runs in a clean and predictable environment, this make it
>> easy to reproduce a problem found in testing.
>>

> Docker is of little use to us here, as 2 of the 4 build platforms cannot
> be run in Docker (macOS and the Docker container), and the 3rd would be
> extremely difficult to run that way (Windows)

The docker files that we are talking about here is to run the tests, and we
believe that the tests are all running in a Linux environment.

Thanks
Victoria && Joao