Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: User documentation vs Official Docs
Date: 2018-07-19 18:34:23
Lists: pgsql-general

>> Politely tell them to buy some of the many well written books that are
available on these very topics...
>Fair enough but what about those that cant afford it? I think us in the
Western World tend to forget that by >far the majority of users cant afford
a latte from Starbucks let alone a 60.00 USD dead tree.

Seriously? So someone can afford a $500 computer ( in addition to
accessories ), but they wouldn't be able to afford a $60 book (which BTW,
there are several for lesser amount) ?

I have been monitoring this thread for many days now. It originally started
as a request for users to write a separate user tutorial. But a tutorial
for what? That was never stated.
What exactly is missing from the official documentation? Isn't it the
purpose of pgsql-general to answer user questions? Why is there such a
great need to create yet a third form to guide
PostgreSQL users, which would only end up being included in a google search
anyway, with no guarantee of priority?