Re: Problem changing default data_directory in PG 9.6 + CentOS6

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Edilmar LISTAS <edilista(at)intersite(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem changing default data_directory in PG 9.6 + CentOS6
Date: 2016-10-17 20:54:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Edilmar LISTAS <edilista(at)intersite(dot)com(dot)br>
wrote:

> I have an env running a changed data_directory fine in a devel machine PG
> 9.4 using Fedora23.
> Now, I have a server machine with CentOS where I downloaded the RPMs from
> repo https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/9.6/redhat/
> rhel-6-x86_64/pgdg-centos96-9.6-3.noarch.rpm.
> All the configs run fine if I doesn't change the default data_directory.
> But I need to use the path /sistemas/sat4/bdpg.
>
> I did these commands:
>
> mkdir /sistemas/sat4/bdpg
> chown postgres /sistemas/sat4/bdpg
> chmod 700 /sistemas/sat4/bdpg
> su - postgres
> /usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/initdb -D /sistemas/sat4/bdpg
> exit
>
> Then, I changed data_directory to /sistemas/sat4/bdpg and tried to restart
> PG:
> service postgresql-9.6 restart
> STOP => OK
> START => FAILED
>
> I disabled se_linux.
> The file /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/pgstartup.log just said to see future output
> in pg_log.
> The file data/pg_log/postgresql-Mon.log doesn't say anything about errors.
>
> The strange is that startup arises a FAILED message, but the process
> "/usr/pgsql-9.6/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data" is running (and
> the children logger/checkpointer/etc). But I don't get to connect using
> pgAdmin3. Then, I have to kill manually postmaster (because service script
> doesn't understand postmaster.pid in the new data dir), comment
> data_directory to use default place, start and connect to pgAdmin3. Then,
> start/stop/start/etc run fine lookup for postmaster.pid in
> /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data.

What is the value of data_directory in postgresql.conf ?

Is there anything in /var/log/postgresql/{log_filename} ... where
{log_file} is the value set in postgresql.conf ?

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you