Re: [v10] CREATE TEMP FUNCTION/CREATE FUNCTION PG_TEMP.X

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [v10] CREATE TEMP FUNCTION/CREATE FUNCTION PG_TEMP.X
Date: 2017-12-21 23:50:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 12:07 PM, Vincenzo Romano <
vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it> wrote:

> >> So search_path is not used with functions?
> >
> > pg_temp is explicitly ignored when searching for functions/operators.
> > Otherwise, installing a trojan horse is just too easy.
> >
> > regards, tom lane
>
> I'm not sure whether this decision actually makes PG more scure.
> But, anyway, thanks for the insight: I've just found the
> documentations for this.
>
> --
> Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
> Information Technologies
> --
> NON QVIETIS MARIBVS NAVTA PERITVS

Aside from the simple explanations you have received, I question your
justification for even having a temporary function.
Functions are only entries in the system catalogs and as such, take up just
a tiny amount of physical space. In addition,
if you ever need it again, you will have to expend time recreating it. Why
not just once and keep it?

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you