Re: Three Variations of postgresql.conf

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Convey <smconvey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Three Variations of postgresql.conf
Date: 2015-11-12 16:07:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Ubuntu does not use the standard pg_ctl for postgreSQL. Instead, it uses
pg_ctlcluster.
That in turn controls the different PostgreSQL clusters. When you do an
install of a new cluster, pg_ctlcluster is smart enough to put
postgresql.conf & pg_hba.conf into separate dirs.
So to be specific, /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/postgresql.conf is just a tmp file
that you can ingnore, /etc/postgresql/9.4/main/postgresql.conf is the
original version for the 9.4 cluster and
/var/lib/postgresql/9.4/main/postgresql.auto.conf is the actual, live
version of the 9.4 cluster that you need to change to affect the 9.4
cluster. Likewise for the pg_hba.conf.

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you