Re: Split read/write queries between 2 servers (one master and one slave with streaming replication)?

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pierre Timmermans <ptim007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Split read/write queries between 2 servers (one master and one slave with streaming replication)?
Date: 2018-02-14 19:43:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Pierre Timmermans <ptim007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
wrote:

> pgpool does just that: it enables you to use the standby database as a
> read only while other queries are sent to the primary database only (
> http://www.pgpool.net/). Good product and good support (on the list°
>
> This looks a very interesting possibility, although it is more related to
> automated failover than to load balancing of read only queries :
> http://paquier.xyz/postgresql-2/postgres-10-libpq-read-write/, depending
> on your client it might be supported. It is not supported - yet ? - by the
> node-postgres driver.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pierre
>

> On Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 3:29:03 PM GMT+1, Venkateswaran <
> venkateswaran(dot)srec(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I am also trying to split read and write queries, where reads should go to
> the slave server (streaming replication) and writes to the master server.
> Any tool available to perform this activity instead of two connection pool?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-
> f1843780.html

*Actually, if you are looking for load balancing PgBouncer is better than
PgPool. There is a nice article about
that.https://www.last.fm/user/Russ/journal/2008/02/21/zd_postgres_connection_pools:_pgpool_vs._pgbouncer
<https://www.last.fm/user/Russ/journal/2008/02/21/zd_postgres_connection_pools:_pgpool_vs._pgbouncer>*

*I used PgBouncer in a few of ny previous positions and found it to be very
fast and efficient.*

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you