Re: Maximum of connections in PG

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maximum of connections in PG
Date: 2017-03-14 14:29:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Dear Members!
>
> In a very strong Linux machine (with many 16-30 GB RAM) what is the limit
> of the PGSQL server (9.4-9.5) "maximum connections"?
>
> 1000?
> 2000?
>
> The clients are native applications (Windows executables) with persistent
> connections, with more than 100 databases (every client have only one
> database connection).
>
> Now we must determine where is the upper limit to know when we must buy a
> new machine to customers clients (which have to migrate in future).
>
> I know my question is too common without precise numbers, but what is I
> need is your experiences in this theme?
> What areas are problematic when we increase the "max_connection" number?
>
> Thanks for any info!
>
> Best wishes
> dd

*>In a very strong Linux machine (with many 16-30 GB RAM) what is the limit
of the PGSQL server (9.4-9.5) "maximum connections"?*

*It all depends on the amount of shared memory, which in turn is dependent
on the O/S memory.*

*But if you are going to have thousands of users, you are better off using
a connection pooler. My preference is for
PgBouncer.https://pgbouncer.github.io/ <https://pgbouncer.github.io/>*

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you