Re: initdb createuser commands

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Christofer C(dot) Bell" <christofer(dot)c(dot)bell(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb createuser commands
Date: 2016-10-31 15:17:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Christofer C. Bell <
christofer(dot)c(dot)bell(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Samuel Williams <
>> space(dot)ship(dot)traveller(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, just to clarify, b "worst" I don't mean functionality, I mean
>>> the way the commands are named and organised.

>>> that

>>> assist them at all.

>>> "way of
>>> different.

>>> easily

>>> trivial…google and
>>> nearly
>>> anyone
>>> just dive

>>> it’s
>>> in

>>> --
>>>

>> *Samuel,*
>>
>> *I believe you are over simplifying things. Simply renaming a command
>> does not make it easier to learn or clarify it's use.*
>>
>> *That is the purpose of documentation. A beginner does not get a better
>> understanding of command usage by the name of a command,*
>>
>> *they get it by actually using the command. In addition, I don't know any
>> DBA that is in favor of longer command names (as you *
>>
>> *propose prefixing with pg_ ). The fact is, the commands are already self
>> explanatory. The _only_ way to learn how to be a good DBA*
>>
>> *is to actually use the commands, and that also includes pg_ctl and psql
>> commands. I agree that GUI tools make it easier to learn,*
>>
>> *but is essential to learn the command line tools and how to use. So
>> again, it is not the name that is important, but the actual usage.*
>> --
>> *Melvin Davidson*
>> I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you
>> wish to share my fantasy is entirely up to you.
>>

> I think the OP's point is that having a hodgepodge of (on their face)
> unrelated commands smells kinda unorganized at best and unprofessional at
> worst. Wether or not he's right is up to the reader. For me, I agree with
> his sentiment.
>
> The solution he's suggesting is to bring all of these commands under one
> umbrella either by bundling them in an administrative utility or by giving
> them a prefix that shows they're related to "the PostgreSQL database."
>
> He's getting a lot of pushback that really feels it's coming from the
> wrong direction. "Just learn it." "It's always been this way." "No one
> agrees with you." These arguments are unconvincing. That said, there's
> nothing wrong with just saying, "we're not going to change it because we
> don't want to."
>
> --
> Chris
>
> "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
> Universe." -- Carl Sagan
>

>The solution he's suggesting is to bring all of these commands under one
umbrella either by bundling them in an administrative utility or by giving
them a prefix that shows they're related to "the PostgreSQL database."

*As I have already pointed out, they are already documented
well:https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/reference-client.html
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/reference-client.html>*
>giving them a prefix that shows they're related to "the PostgreSQL
database."

*I would think that the fact they are bundled in
/usr/lib/postgresql/<version>/bin/would be a big hint. Likewise in windows
<C>:\<postgresql>\bin\.*
>He's getting a lot of pushback that really feels it's coming from the
wrong direction....
>That said, there's nothing wrong with just saying, "we're not going to
change it because we don't want to."

*No, what I am saying is "There is no need to change it". It's working,
it's documented, it is an existing standard. *