Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>, Szymon Lipiński <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, dandl <david(at)andl(dot)org>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date: 2016-05-04 13:44:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 9:25 AM, John McKown <john(dot)archie(dot)mckown(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj>
> wrote:
>
>> ​<snip>
>>
>> The sensible way is to do it as John wrote - to restrict access rights
>> to everyone except admin to calling functions only. That way the
>> functions are written by the people who are paid to understand the
>> business rules and the data behind it, and the application developers
>> can ask those experts to do the heavy lifting for them. Having to
>> persuade management that they should no longer be able to connect the
>> database to MS Access and make changes that way will usually put an
>> end to that pure model, though. :)
>>

> ​Allowing PHBs direct access t​o company data is a nasty thing. They
> become like some users who "know Excel". They are now just as knowledgeable
> as someone who's been doing this for years. I've actually heard one say
> something akin to: "Damn it, I can write Excel formulas. I know very well
> that an new function on the web site could be written in less than a day,
> if you'd just get off you a$$ and do it."
>

>> Geoff
>>

> --
> The unfacts, did we have them, are too imprecisely few to warrant our
> certitude.
>
> Maranatha! <><
> John McKown
>

>What might I cover that I haven't mentioned?

Well, I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons Web Developers do not use SQL
is because they do not know what is in the database. Perhaps a sections
that teaches them how to list the tables and columns
from the INFORMATION_SCHEMA would be a good start.

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you