Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Zenz <robert(dot)zenz(at)sibvisions(dot)com>
Cc: General PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions
Date: 2018-01-26 14:59:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 9:47 AM, Robert Zenz <robert(dot)zenz(at)sibvisions(dot)com>
wrote:

> I'm currently doing a small writeup of a bug fix in our framework which
> involves
> savepoints in PostgreSQL (JDBC). However, I have a hard time locating the
> documentation regarding this. I mean, from what I can extract from various
> sources, PostgreSQL requires to use savepoints if one wants to continue a
> transaction after a failed statement, but I can't find where in the
> documentation that is stated and documented.
>
> Can somebody point me to the correct location where this is documented and
> maybe
> even explained why that is the case?

You have not specified which version of PostgreSQL you are using (or your
O/S), but is this the documention you are looking for?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/tutorial-transactions.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-savepoint.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-rollback-to.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-release-savepoint.html

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you