Re: Multiple databases and shared_buffers

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rakesh Kumar <dcruncher4(at)aim(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multiple databases and shared_buffers
Date: 2016-02-18 15:15:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 4:23 AM, Rakesh Kumar <dcruncher4(at)aim(dot)com> wrote:

> It is a business requirement that we store our clients data in separate
> databases. Our sales folks insist it is non negotiable. Our current
> technology does
> support that and also maintain buffer pools for each db independently.
> That's why I brought this up. Personally I don't think this is a serious
> limitation at all.

NOTE: It is very important you provide the version of PostgreSQL and O/S
when addressing this mail list. That is so others searching the archives in
the future
can determine it's pertenance.

That being said, It looks to me like you have a misunderstanding about how
PostgreSQL uses shared_buffers. Data is not actually stored in the
shared_buffers.
Please refer to the following url which explains it's usage.

http://leopard.in.ua/2013/09/05/postgresql-sessting-shared-memory

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you