Re: Any thoughts on making a psql meta-command "hide (or show alt text) if no results"?

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any thoughts on making a psql meta-command "hide (or show alt text) if no results"?
Date: 2017-08-09 01:25:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 9:16 PM, David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hey all, looking for thoughts on a feature request:
>
> I run quite a few queries, using psql, that are intended for exceptional
> situations. When there are no results, which is expected, I still get the
> table header and basic frame showing up in the output. The option I'd like
> is to be able to suppress the output of the empty table (and header if
> there is one) or possibly substitute the empty table with user-supplied
> text.
>
> Thinking something that is used like \g
>
> SELECT * FROM (VALUES (1)) vals (v) WHERE v = 0 \ghideifempty
>
> [SQL] \galtifempty 'No values matching 0 in vals'
>
> The names are descriptive, not suggestions...
>
> David J.
>

>The option I'd like is to be able to suppress the output of the empty
table (and header if there is one)
*Have you looked at the TUPLES ONLY option?*

*-t* *--tuples-only*

*Turn off printing of column names and result row count footers, etc. This
is equivalent to the \t command.*
*https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-psql.html
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-psql.html>*

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you