Re: initdb createuser commands

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb createuser commands
Date: 2016-10-29 22:59:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:

> On 10/29/2016 3:02 PM, Samuel Williams wrote:
>
>> FYI,https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PostgreSQL mentions initdb,
>> createuser, createdb and several others. I think my suggestion is
>> still relevant and something that would improve the system for new
>> users
>>

> and it would break it for the existing community that has up to 20 years
> of experience with it, as well as breaking virtually all existing
> documentation, books, howto articles, etc, including the one you linked.
>

> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz
>

> --

*'d like to put my two cents in at this point. IMHO, the whole concept of
renaming commands "to make it easier for beginners to learn" is
ludicrous.If we rename a saw to woodcutter, or drill to holemaker, it would
do nothing to make someone learn carpentry easier. Likewise, renaming
commands would not make it easier to learn PostgreSQL. If someone truly
wants to learn to be a PostgreSQL DBA, there are many fine books already
in existence that guide them step by step how to do so. In addition, as
others have already pointed out, the PostgreSQL documentation clearly
describes how to use all commands in question and renaming (or prefixing
)them would do little to add to that. In fact, I'm pretty sure, existing
DBA's like myself would be quite upset if commands were arbitrarily
renamed.* *So as a wise man once said, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!*

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you