Re: Moving pg_xlog

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Inder <robert(at)interactive(dot)co(dot)uk>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving pg_xlog
Date: 2016-12-02 04:04:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 10:17 PM, David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 7:59 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Robert Inder <robert(at)interactive(dot)co(dot)uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I'd really like to read an explicit discussion of this in the official
>>> documentation, rather than just glean what I can from answers to
>>> questions.
>>>

>> The official documentation cannot have a dissertation on every
>> combination of hardware, OS, file-system type, version of that file-system,
>> and your usage pattern. That is inherently the realm of the wiki or the
>> blogs.
>>

> ​The documentation has enough information at this level of detail that I
> wouldn't object to adding commentary addressing the above should someone
> take the time to write it.​
>
> Given that the location of pg_xlog is not "configurable" placing such
> commentary in Server Configuration would be a no-go, however. At a quick
> glance a new section under "Server Setup and Operation - Creating a
> Database Cluster" would probably be a better home. It already discusses
> Secondary File Systems and in many ways this is just an extension of that
> discussion.
>
> David J.
>

>Given that the location of pg_xlog is not "configurable"

Well, while the location of pg_xlog is not currently configurable, on
Linux system the way to do it is to:
1. stop PostgreSQL
2. move the pg_xlog directory to a separate partition
3. create a symbolic link to point to the new partition
4. restart PostgreSQL

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you