Re: Postgres Pain Points 2 ruby / node language drivers

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Pain Points 2 ruby / node language drivers
Date: 2016-08-11 20:54:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
wrote:

> På torsdag 11. august 2016 kl. 19:13:08, skrev support-tiger <
> support(at)tigernassau(dot)com>:
>
> A database is only as good as the ability to use it. Using ORM's with
> Postgres seems dumb, like having a Ferrari but only allowed to drive 25
> kmh. Really, for getting data in and out with Postgres, SQL is pretty
> simple. The ORM abstractions take as much effort as simply writing
> direct SQL statements and convenience functions with straight sql.
> Ruby: The "pg" driver seems to be tweaked to work okay with active
> record, and maybe Sequel, but we are having problems with with straight
> ruby/sinatra. (see comments above re ORM's). Since we changed to
> Fedora and Ruby 2.3, we are now having breaking connections and JSONB
> query problems. This could be from lack of clear docs and examples - we
> cant' find any good examples or tutorials with JSONB. It seems with this
> driver it is Rails or the highway.
>
> Nodejs: The docs and tutorials for "node-postgres" are a mess. The
> github readme, examples, and wikis are all different. Then there is
> "native" and "pooling" and prepared statement alternatives. Callback
> hell is bad enough, then to have lots of different approaches.
> Async/Await should help this issue (whenever it arrives in Node) but
> meanwhile, it's a painful struggle. Whatever examples exist are for
> such trivial use, they fall short of helping with real-life examples,
> like sequential results.
>
> Python: The Postgres team supported driver psycopg2 seems to work great
> (but we really don't want to rewrite lots of code into python
>
> It would be great if the Ruby and Node drivers can be brought under the
> Postgres team umbrella and make them as reliable and clearly documented
> as the Python or jdbc drivers.
>

> I cannot not comment on this. Saying that ORM seems dumb, and working with
> PG using ORM does not fly, is a very good recipe for not being taken
> seriously. Of course you can make an ORM hose your DB, but any developer
> could just as easily write SQL which does the same. Also, remember that PG
> is based on volunteer effort and if drivers for some languages are more
> mature and better supported than others, that's because core-pg-developers
> or someone in "the inner circle", or someone else, has use for them. Just
> because language X or framework Y popus up doesn't mean the PG-project
> should maintain drivers for them or support them.
>
> So - yes, it would be great if all the drivers for all languages would be
> made as reliable and clearly documented as the most supported ones.
>
> --
> *Andreas Joseph Krogh*
> CTO / Partner - Visena AS
> Mobile: +47 909 56 963
> andreas(at)visena(dot)com
> www.visena.com
> <https://www.visena.com>
>

>Nodejs: The docs and tutorials for "node-postgres" are a mess.

I blatantly disagree with your comment above. It sounds as if you are just
making an excuse for not reading them. There are also many fine books that
have been written
that cover PostgreSQL for novices and advanced users. No one is going to
spoon feed you and there is no such thing as a "Vulcan Mind Meld" to give
you instant knowledge.
Like any fine tool, you have to spend some time to learn how to use it
properly.

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you