Re: Add relcreated (timestamp) column to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add relcreated (timestamp) column to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created
Date: 2016-04-21 12:49:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 3:11 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 07:09:24PM -0400, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>
> > There is also the situation of tables with limitited use. EG:
> > history_yyyymm, in which case it would facilitate dropping of tables that
> > are no longer needed after x amount of time.
>
> select * from pg_class where to_timestamp(substring(relname from
> 9), 'YYYYMM') CONDITION;
>
> Karsten
> --
> GPG key ID E4071346 @ eu.pool.sks-keyservers.net
> E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346
>

> --

"select * from pg_class where to_timestamp(substring(relname from 9),
'YYYYMM') CONDITION;"
Yes, that might possibly work, but history_YYYYMM was just an example
illustration. What if the table name did not have a date in it?
eg: persons_things_done,
Then you need the creation date of the table.

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you