Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"

From: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"
Date: 2016-04-26 00:26:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 8:18 PM, David G. Johnston <
david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 25, 2016, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> Melvin,
>>
>> * Melvin Davidson (melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>> > So in essence "*Allows modification of the structure of system tables"
>> does
>> > NOT allow _structural_ changes (probably only dml changes)
>> > and the documentation should be changed to clarify.
>>
>> That would imply that other changes are acceptable. That is not the
>> case. Certain DML changes could cause crashes too.
>>
>> The documentation is pretty clear that this option is for initdb, and
>> not anyone else. I'm unconvinced that we need anything more.
>>

> If anything it should be shortened to simply that.
>
> David J.
>

>The documentation is pretty clear that this option is for initdb
Hmmm, if you go back a few comments, you will note that per initdb --help
there is no such option available.
It is further confusing for allow_system_table_mods to be in
postgresql.conf, since it is initdb that creates postgresql.conf.
IOW, it is putting the cart before the horse, or catch-22.
--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize. Whether or not you