Re: pgbouncer setup in the architecture

From: Gabriele Lohss <gabriele(dot)lohss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbouncer setup in the architecture
Date: 2014-08-27 09:03:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

thanks, you're right. My description wasn't very concrete. Our current set
up is a single pgbouncer instance running on a VM in the same network like
the webapplications. The database servers are in another firewall protected
network. So the pgbouncer is now running on a standalone VM. I was
wondering if this setup is a propper solution, but I guess we still have to
test the perfomance.
Until now I always installed pgbouncer on a already existing database
server and the basic configuration was quite easy. When running on a
central VM separate to the database its is connecting too, is it necessary
to have a running postgresql instance on this VM too? I want to connect to
the pgbouncer database as well, but therefor I need a postgresql database
server, right? Or do I just need the client packages?

Thanks for the help,
Gaby