Re: Installing PostgreSQL fails

From: Harshad Adalkonda <adalkondaharshad(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josef Springer <Josef(dot)Springer(at)joops(dot)com>
Cc: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL fails
Date: 2015-03-02 10:22:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Josef Springer <Josef(dot)Springer(at)joops(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hello Lou,
>
> much thanks for you tip !!!
> I found on the web the tool DLL-Files Fixer. This installed my
> LIBEAX32.dll and i was able to do a reinstall of PostgreSQL 8.2.1.
> But now i have a last problem related to PostgreSQL:
> To keep my databases, i made a copy of the hole PostgreSQL-Folder before
> reinstallation (PostgtreSQL-Server service was not running).
>
> - I cleared the folder *data*, because the PostgreSQL installation
> adviced me to do.
> - I installed PostgreSQL 8.2.1
> - After installation PostgtreSQL-Server service was running and i
> could start PGAdminIII.
> - I stopped the PostgtreSQL-Server service
> - I restored the backup of the folder *data *(to get my databases back)
> - But starting now PostgtreSQL-Server service does not work anymore. I
> get an error message after a while (Error 1053)
>
> Do you have any tips how i can get my databases back ?
>
> Thanks for your assistance,
> Josef Springer
>

> On 27.02.2015 17:12, Lou Picciano wrote:
>
> Josef,
>
> Though my German is weak(!), you're getting a sort of non-PostgreSQL
> error message there. LIBEAY32.DLL is part of the DLL dependency chain
> required for PostgreSQL's SSL support. (This DLL may have been the file
> damaged by your drive sector errors?) You may be able to solve your
> problems simply by replacing this file...
>
> Meanwhile, if you need to recover data - and if you can be assured of a
> secure, perhaps local-only(?) client connection to your cluster: Would be
> to turn off SSL in postgresql.conf. Of course, you'd want to also restrict
> access to the cluster with the data thus exposed.
>
> But it sounds like you don't have any fundamental problem with
> PostgreSQL itself; just with SSL.
>
> Lou Picciano
>
> ------------------------------
> *From: *"Josef Springer" <Josef(dot)Springer(at)joops(dot)com>
> <Josef(dot)Springer(at)joops(dot)com>

Hi Josef Springer,

If you are able to start the PostgreSQL server manually i.e from pg_ctl
then the problem with your service.

You can recreate that service with following command

pg_ctl register [-N SERVICENAME] [-U USERNAME] [-P PASSWORD] [-D DATADIR]

after creating service try to start the service you have created it will
start your database server.

Hope this will resolve your problem.

--

Thanks & Regards,