Re: Replicating from 9.1.10 into 9.3.5

From: Harshad Adalkonda <adalkondaharshad(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rob Cowell <rob(dot)cowell(at)transversal(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replicating from 9.1.10 into 9.3.5
Date: 2015-01-10 04:58:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 10:47 PM, Rob Cowell <rob(dot)cowell(at)transversal(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to set up replication from a 9.1.10 master to a 9.3.5
> slave?
> I've taken a base-backup from the master and rsync'd it over to the slave
> but I'm seeing the following error :
>
> HINT: It looks like you need to initdb.
> FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
> DETAIL: The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION
> 903, but the server was compiled with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 937.
>
> Would I be better off dumping the data from 9.1.10 and re-importing into
> 9.3.5, then starting replication ?
> (or is there an easier way?) :)
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
>
> --

Hi Rob Cowell,

In PostgreSQL Streaming Replication can't be set in major versions, it is
only possible in same version or minor version.

If you want to set up Replication in 2 major versions it can be done
through Slony Replication, Londiste Replication.

Else you need to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.3 using

pg_dump & pg_restore - (easier way) but it will take more time if database
size is huge.
pg_upgrade - less time but require more disk-space.
Slony replication - trigger based replication.
Londiste replication - trigger based replication but documentation is not
that much clear.

--
Thanks & Regards,
*Harshad Adalkonda*