Re: Using per-transaction memory contexts for storing decoded tuples

From: Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using per-transaction memory contexts for storing decoded tuples
Date: 2024-09-27 07:39:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 23 Sept 2024 at 09:59, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2024 at 11:27 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Right, and I am also slightly afraid that this may not cause some
> > > regression in other cases where defrag wouldn't help.
> >
> > Yeah, that's certainly a possibility. I was hoping that
> > MemoryContextMemAllocated() being much larger than logical_work_mem
> > could only happen when there is fragmentation, but certainly, you
> > could be wasting effort trying to defrag transactions where the
> > changes all arrive in WAL consecutively and there is no
> > defragmentation. It might be some other large transaction that's
> > causing the context's allocations to be fragmented. I don't have any
> > good ideas on how to avoid wasting effort on non-problematic
> > transactions. Maybe there's something that could be done if we knew
> > the LSN of the first and last change and the gap between the LSNs was
> > much larger than the WAL space used for this transaction. That would
> > likely require tracking way more stuff than we do now, however.
> >

> With more information tracking, we could avoid some non-problematic
> transactions but still, it would be difficult to predict that we
> didn't harm many cases because to make the memory non-contiguous, we
> only need a few interleaving small transactions. We can try to think
> of ideas for implementing defragmentation in our code if we first can
> prove that smaller block sizes cause problems.
>
> > With the smaller blocks idea, I'm a bit concerned that using smaller
> > blocks could cause regressions on systems that are better at releasing
> > memory back to the OS after free() as no doubt malloc() would often be
> > slower on those systems. There have been some complaints recently
> > about glibc being a bit too happy to keep hold of memory after free()
> > and I wondered if that was the reason why the small block test does
> > not cause much of a performance regression. I wonder how the small
> > block test would look on Mac, FreeBSD or Windows. I think it would be
> > risky to assume that all is well with reducing the block size after
> > testing on a single platform.
> >

> Good point. We need extensive testing on different platforms, as you
> suggest, to verify if smaller block sizes caused any regressions.

I did similar tests on Windows. rb_mem_block_size was changed from 8kB
to 8MB. Below table shows the result (average of 5 runs) and Standard
Deviation (of 5 runs) for each block-size.

block-size | Average time (ms) | Standard Deviation (ms)
8kb | 12580.879 ms | 144.6923467
16kb | 12442.7256 ms | 94.02799006
32kb | 12370.7292 ms | 97.7958552
64kb | 11877.4888 ms | 222.2419142
128kb | 11828.8568 ms | 129.732941
256kb | 11801.086 ms | 20.60030913
512kb | 12361.4172 ms | 65.27390105
1MB | 12343.3732 ms | 80.84427202
2MB | 12357.675 ms | 79.40017604
4MB | 12395.8364 ms | 76.78273689
8MB | 11712.8862 ms | 50.74323039

From the results, I think there is a small regression for small block size.

I ran the tests in git bash. I have also attached the test script.

Thanks and Regards,
Shlok Kyal

Attachment Content-Type Size
test.sh text/x-sh 859 bytes