Re: long-standing data loss bug in initial sync of logical replication

From: Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nitin Motiani <nitinmotiani(at)google(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: long-standing data loss bug in initial sync of logical replication
Date: 2024-10-03 05:53:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 30 Sept 2024 at 16:56, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> > 2.
> > Similarly with above, the relcache won't be invalidated when ALTER
> > PUBLICATION
> > OWNER TO is executed. This means that privilage checks may be ignored if the
> > entry
> > is still valid. Not sure, but is there a possibility this causes an inconsistency?
>
> Hmm, IIUC, the attribute pubowner is not used for now. The paragpargh
> "There are currently no privileges on publications...." [1] may show the current
> status. However, to keep the current behavior, I suggest to invalidate the relcache
> of pubrelations when the owner is altered.
>
> [1]: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/logical-replication-security.html

I have shared the updated patch [1].
So now, when 'ALTER .. PUBLICATION .. OWNER TO ..' is executed the
relcache is invalidated for that specific publication.

[1] : https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CANhcyEWEXL3rxvKH9-Xtx-DgGX0D62EktHpW%2BnG%2BMSSaMVUVig%40mail.gmail.com

Thanks and Regards,
Shlok Kyal