Re: Custom gucs visibility

From: Nikhil Sontakke <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Custom gucs visibility
Date: 2013-07-03 10:58:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > If we haven't loaded the .so yet, where would we get the list of
> > > custom GUCs from?
> >
> > This has come up before. We could show the string value of the GUC,
> > if it's been set in postgresql.conf, but we do not have correct
> > values for any of the other columns in pg_settings; nor are we even
> > sure that the module will think the value is valid once it does get
> > loaded. So the consensus has been that allowing the GUC to be
> > printed would be more misleading than helpful.
>
> How about printing them with something along the lines of, "Please
> load extension foobar for details" or (less informative, but possibly
> easier to code) "libfoobar.so not loaded." ?

Well, we have done the "CREATE EXTENSION" successfully earlier. Also, the
GUC becomes "automagically" visible after the backend has executed a
function from that extension ( in which case the .so gets loaded as part of
the function handling).

Also note that SET foo.custom_guc works ok by setting up a placeholder guc
if the .so has not been loaded yet.

I wonder if we should dare to try to load the .so if a 'SHOW
extension_name.custom_guc' is encountered via internal_load_library or
something? Obviously we should check if the extension was created before as
well.

Regards,
Nikhils