Re: Threading in BGWorkers (!)

From: Eric Ridge <eebbrr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Threading in BGWorkers (!)
Date: 2020-06-23 04:46:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> dispatch the threaded work to a non-Postgres-ish process

I’m no expert here but all your solid points about threading with Postgres
notwithstanding....

I think there’s some issues around interrupt handling and general syscalls
that doesn’t otherwise play nice with “non-Postgres-ish” *threads* when
Postgres is still the main thread.

This is all purely hypothetical, but it seems that Postgres’ use of
sigprocmask can cause problems with threads that are otherwise 100%
“disconnected” from Postgres.

How can we start a dialog about this kind of situation? Nobody here is
trying to make Postgres thread-safe, maybe only thread-friendly.

I think Mr. Sewell, has a better handle around these topics. But he ain’t
the only one interested.

eric