Re: How to manually force a transaction wraparound

From: Eric Ridge <eebbrr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to manually force a transaction wraparound
Date: 2016-05-06 01:04:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 10:16 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Eric Ridge <eebbrr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I want to force my database to wraparound, just to see what happens. How
> > can I do this without consuming a few billion transactions?
>
> Take a look at the script repro-bogus-subtrans-error-wraparound.sh
> from this email:
>

> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm=3z0EoLpo5wTUwseM38kbq+Gjp8xXiuLJkUqpM-SW7kAw@mail.gmail.com
>
> That used pg_resetxlog -x $XID $PGDATA, but needed to do several hops
> stop/pg_resetxlog/start hops to get all the way around the xid clock.

Thanks Thomas. I ended up figuring out something similar after I read the
docs on pg_resetxlog.

It did something interesting to two of my local databases, but I was able
to figure out what I wanted to know.

Thanks again!

eric