Re: Is there a known bug with SKIP LOCKED and "tuple to be locked was already moved to another partition due to concurrent update"?

From: Kamil Dziedzic <kamil(at)dziedzic(dot)es>
To: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there a known bug with SKIP LOCKED and "tuple to be locked was already moved to another partition due to concurrent update"?
Date: 2021-03-11 21:12:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi everyone,

Is this a well know bug? I just hit the same issue. Below are steps to
reproduce.

Create data table and partition it by state

CREATE TABLE data (
id bigserial not null,
state smallint not null DEFAULT 1,
updated_at timestamp without time zone default now()
) partition by list(state);create table data_pending partition of data
for values in (1);create table data_processing partition of data for
values in (2);create table data_done partition of data for values in
(3);

Generate test data

INSERT INTO transactionsSELECT generate_series(1,1000) AS id, 1 AS state, NOW();

Move data from pending state to processing in batches

UPDATE transactionsSET transactions.state = 2, updated_at = NOW()WHERE id = (
SELECT id
FROM transactions
WHERE state = 1
LIMIT 10 FOR UPDATE SKIP LOCKED
)
RETURNING id;

You can now process them in application and move to done state when
finished.

However, this doesn't work as FOR UPDATE SKIP LOCKED fails for partitioned
tables with following error

ERROR: tuple to be locked was already moved to another partition due to
concurrent update

Here is full script to test this

cat > test-skip-locked-with-partitions << 'SCRIPT'PSQL_CMD="psql -q -U
postgres"eval $PSQL_CMD > /dev/null << EOFCREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS
data ( id bigserial not null, state smallint not null DEFAULT 1,
updated_at timestamp without time zone default now()) partition by
list(state);CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS data_pending partition of data
for values in (1);CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS data_processing partition
of data for values in (2);CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS data_done
partition of data for values in (3);INSERT INTO dataSELECT
generate_series(1,1000) AS id, 1 AS state, NOW();EOFfunction run {eval
$PSQL_CMD > /dev/null << EOF UPDATE data SET state = 2,
updated_at = NOW() WHERE id IN ( SELECT id FROM data
WHERE state = 1 LIMIT 10 FOR UPDATE SKIP LOCKED )
RETURNING id;EOF}for i in {1..100}; do (run &) doneSCRIPT
bash test-skip-locked-with-partitions

Which results in

root(at)e92e3fa7fecf:/# bash test-skip-locked-with-partitions
[...]

This works well if table is not partitioned. However, query with WHERE
state=1 has hard time when there are millions of records. Adding index
doesn't help as Query Planner tends to ignore it and do Seq Scan anyway.
Workaround for now is to create separate queue table, which is like custom
partitioning.

INSERT SAD CAT PICTURE

https://gist.github.com/arvenil/b46e927c943fa7495780ea2ae5492e78

Best, Kamil Dziedzic