Re: Does psqlODBC actually work on osx?

From: Brian Panulla <bpanulla(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: malcolm(dot)macleod(at)tshwanedje(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Does psqlODBC actually work on osx?
Date: 2014-11-04 21:11:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Malcolm MacLeod <
malcolm(dot)macleod(at)tshwanedje(dot)com> wrote:

> > Thanks, have you used the one in the "enterprise db" installer
> > at all or
> > only the MacPorts one?
> > Can you confirm if it works with iodbctestw? Do you use an
> > "ODBC
> > adminstrator" e.g. "Openlink ODBC Administrator" or only
> > config files?
> > Only MacPorts, through unixODBC. I have not had much luck in the past
> > with the Openlink stuff, or iODBC, which is why we moved to MacPorts.
> > FWIW I had the same problems with the MySQL ODBC drivers.
> Thanks, good to know that the unixODBC part at least works.. However
> unfortunately the application in question only currently use iODBC.

That's interesting.... the last time I tried to compile the myODBC drivers
from source on OS X I failed completely. I couldn't seem to find out how
the folks at Oracle do it.

> What you say about myODBC was true up until about a year ago (or maybe
> even more recently my memory is failing me) but the latest myODBC
> drivers actually work pretty well and do so with iodbc so its definitely
> possible to have working iodbc drivers on osx.

I realized as this thread was developing that while technically I am
running psqlODBC on OS X, MacPorts is really a completely different animal.
I guess that is the central curse of MacPorts --- it generally all works
well together, but you need to use the whole kit and kaboodle.

The one success I have had with iODBC and OS X was with HP Vertica. It took
a lot of scouring of the documentation provided by HP, but in the end I do
finally have them working, at lease from Python.

-B