Re: simple division

From: Raymond Brinzer <ray(dot)brinzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj
Cc: GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simple division
Date: 2018-12-05 13:32:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:55 AM Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin(at)geoff(dot)dj> wrote:

> Where's the logical progression in step 3 here:
>
> 1 You asked the computer a question
>
> 2 The values you passed to it don't have decimal points

> 4 Ergo, you wanted an answer that was incorrect.

Well put. However the nature of the question you asked does not
necessarily allow for a correct finite answer. If I ask for 10/3, for
instance, or 1/0. To play devil's advocate, then: you should have known
that some of the answers would need to be truncated. This just truncates a
little more aggressively. ;-)

--
Ray Brinzer