Re: Problems with question marks in operators (JDBC, ECPG, ...)

From: Bruno Harbulot <bruno(at)distributedmatter(dot)net>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with question marks in operators (JDBC, ECPG, ...)
Date: 2015-05-20 18:12:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 7:04 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> What if something like this was made to work?
>
> select '{"3":5}'::jsonb operator("pg_catalog"."?") '3';
>
> (Where the double quotes around the ? would be tolerated, which they
> currently are not)
>
> Is there a reason it can't be made to work?

I'm not sure whether that could be made to work, but wouldn't that defeat
the point of using operators, i.e. something rather short, as opposed to
functions? (That's also partly one of the arguments against too much
escaping: over-complicating what's intended to be a relatively simple
notation, as the Hibernate example I mentioned earlier showed: "SELECT

Best wishes,

Bruno.