SQL-ASCII database cleanup

From: Mike Blackwell <mike(dot)blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL-ASCII database cleanup
Date: 2011-07-21 14:49:21
Lists: pgsql-general

I have an older database that was created with SQL-ASCII encoding. Over
time users have managed to enter all manner of interesting characters,
mostly via cut and paste from Windows documents. I'm attempting to clean up
and eventually the database to UTF8. I've managed to find most of the data
that won't nicely convert from some-random-encoding to UTF8, but it seems
the users are entering it as fast as I can find it. Is there a way the
incoming data from a Perl CGI web application can be automatically limited
to UTF8 even though the database is SQL-ASCII?

Mike