Re: Detaching multiple partitions in 1 ALTER TABLE statement

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Ben Hood <ben(at)relops(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Detaching multiple partitions in 1 ALTER TABLE statement
Date: 2019-06-20 16:00:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 15:19, Ben Hood <ben(at)relops(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m wondering what is the syntax for detaching multiple partitions in 1
> ALTER TABLE statement.
>
> I’ve tried this:
>

> # ALTER TABLE movement_legs DETACH PARTITION
> movement_legs_2019_06_20_11_15, DETACH PARTITION
> movement_legs_2019_06_20_11_20;
> psql: ERROR: syntax error at or near ","
> LINE 1: ...gs DETACH PARTITION movement_legs_2019_06_20_11_15, DETACH P…
>

> The documentation suggests "DETACH PARTITION can be combined into a list
> of multiple alterations to be applied together”:

Docs say this" All the forms of ALTER TABLE that act on a single table,
except RENAME , SET SCHEMA , ATTACH
PARTITION , and DETACH PARTITION can be combined into a list of multiple
alterations to be
applied together."

Perhaps a comma would be helpful, but its clear that you can do multiple
detaches in one command at present.

But it sounds like a great feature.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/